The term “chemical peel” is used for any treatment that uses acids or enzymes to exfoliate your skin and induce cell regeneration. Body Chemical peels are similar and different than face chemical peels in many ways. Similarities are that its also an acid with same chemical structre, difference being in strength of the acid.
The body chemical peels ordinarily used are TCA ( trichloroacetic acid), salicylic acid, retinoic acid and glycolic acid. Other chemical peels like kojic acid, lactic acid, arbutin etc are too mild to act on the thick skin of the body.
Body chemical peels done at a dermatologist clinic are medical grade strong peels and have to be done only by an expert. They cannot be compared to the OTC products claiming to be body peels that are very mild with minimal or no results.
Body Chemical peels can be used for
1. Persistent suntan ( progressing to pigmentation) on arms, legs, upp back.
2. Acne marks on back and shoulders.
3. Macular amyloidosis - a thickening of skin coupled with amyloid deposition on arms, back and legs.
4. Dark underarms, dark elbos, dark knees and dark ankles.
5. Frictional pigmentation - from use of pumice stone and harsh loofahs.
6. Pigmentation residual of any injury.
7. Acanthosis Nigricans - a medical condition that causes thickening of body folds.
8. Lichen planus pigmentosus
Before a body chemical peel, the client is examined by Dr Vrushali and the cause of pigmentation is identifies. While causes like suntan dont need treatment apart from sunscreen and peels, medical conditions like lichen planus pigmentosus, macular amyloidosis, acanthosis nigricans in addition to chemical peels and Q switched Nd Yag laser.
The area is cleansed and degreased and the chemical peel is applied in a uniform fashion and left for a fixed period of time. Therafter it is neutralised and sunscreen is applied and client is sent home with a list of post procedure instructions.
Depending on the type of peel, the client may experience peeling of skin or dryness only.
Body Chemical peels are generally repeated after 4 weeks and depending on the condition, 4 to 8 sessions of peels may be required.
Extra caution has to be observed in clients with Type V and Type VI skin beacuse of chances of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.