WHAT IS AGING OF HANDS?
Apart from the face and neck, hands are the most affected parts of the body to aging from Ultraviolet light exposure, pollution, contact with chemicals, etc. Yet, one often sees a perfectly filled and botoxed face, but the neglected hands give away the age of the person. It’s said that the palm may or may not unveil your secrets, but the back of the hand will.
An aging hand will be discoloured with age spots, sun spots, altered pigmentation and thin skin that is sunken between the veins, muscle tendons and bony structures.
WHAT ARE DIFFERENT REJUVENATION TREATMENTS FOR AGING HANDS?
While a lot of treatments are available for aging hand, treatments are directed at the level of aging and skin type of the person.
- Chemical peels and Q switched Nd yag laser in combination with hand creams are the choice of treatment for early signs of aging as evidenced by colour changes.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is a good choice of treatment for aging that shows fine lines on skin and early sunkenness without much colour changes. These may have to be repeated every 3 months.
- For advanced aging as evidenced by volume loss (fat and collagen lost causing the veins, muscle tendons and bony structures to look prominent), skin boosters such as Profilho and fillers are the treatment of choice.
- Skin boosters such as Profilho are sequential injections given over a period of say, 6 months to gradually hydrate and hence volumize the sunken skin.
- The fillers of choice for aging hands are Juvederm Voluma, Radiesse and Belotero Balance. These fillers are dense like molten wax and take the shape of the sunken area giving it a well contoured appearance. These dense fillers are good with contouring with minimal hydrating. These fillers ordinarily last from 12 to 18 months.